Tuesday, November 29, 2011

YOUNG ENVIRONMENTALIST TRAINEES (YETs) PROGRAM HAS SHAPENED MY ATTITUDE

I am a Tanzanian boy having graduated in BSc Environmental Sciences and Management at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) in 2010. I joined Environmental Management and Economic Development Organisation (EMEDO) under the Young Environmental Trainees (YETs) program established by World Wildlife Fund for Nature, Tanzanian Office.

As a “change agent”, I have contributed with my knowledge, inspiration and ways of working with small environmental groups in local communities leading to sustainability and scaling up of Natural management.

I have also helped my host organisations in becoming more conscious of their role as they effectively participate in and influence decision making and governance for more sustainable and equitable management of natural resources, especially fisheries, forestry and wildlife. All these have created space for me to engage in different activities hence contributing in becoming a future leader.

Although, after and before my graduation, I have closely worked with communities through volunteering with different NGOs but I had little skills in Mobilizing communities,, how to approach/work with communities, How to conduct resource assessment, making quality speech, village training skills, preparing an Environmental Education Program (EEP), preparing a radio program/interview and reporting whether through writing activity reports or article writings. Also the four quarter stay with my host organisation while accomplishing different tasks assigned by my supervisor has helped me practically exercise different skills I have acquired from different trainings. This can be evidenced from different progress reports submitted to WWF.

“To mention few examples, I remember in the second quarter after the training on Village Training Skills, I practically trained different community groups in Muleba District and wrote reports and articles that were submitted to WWF/EMEDO and in the YETs Blog respectively”.

An experience and knowledge gained from the YETs Program have also helped me understand the best options available for maintaining sustainable development through sustainable environmental protection as the community I am working with is mainly bothered by lack of best affordable alternative.

In a special way I would like to thank Programme trainees especially Madame Delphine Mugisha and her team from MS-TCDC, Ms. Victoria Maeda from WWF authority, My supervisor, Mr. Wilson T. James, EMEDO staff and fellow YETs for giving me good cooperation from the beginning of my internship period up to date, it has been a good experience working with you all and the communities at large.

Friends, I still need your advice, instructions and any other support to make me a better person for the community, nation and global at large as I believe your presence in my life will always give courage, motivation and strength of looking forward always.
Written by;
Deodatus Kiriba- 2011 Young Environmentalist Trainee from EMEDO-Mwanza

No comments:

Post a Comment